Published on:

MAUI WOMEN AFFECTED BY PESTICIDE DO HAVE A CLAIM ACCORDING TO APPEALS COURT

By

Two Michigan women, Elizabeth Gass and Deborah DeJonge were enjoying their Maui vacation at the Wailea Beach Marriott Resort when one day they came into their room and discovered a dead cockroach and reported it to the management. The hotel said that they would handle the situation and when the women returned to the hotel room a few hours later, they came into a room full of a horrid odor.
Since they were leaving that day, they opened the windows and started to pack. A short time later the hotel arranged transportation for both ladies to a nearby urgent care facility. The ladies complained of drowsiness, blurred vision, muscle spasms, painful joints, and swollen/black tongues.

In May of 2007, U.S. District Judge Robert Bell ruled in favor of Marriott and Ecolab (the exterminator company) saying there was no direct connection between the pesticides sand their symptoms. This month the federal appeals court overturned the prior judge in this case and has set a new trial date. The womens’ lawsuit alleges negligence against the hotel chain for spraying a dangerous pesticide in an occupied room.

Is this a clear case of negligence by the hotel or just a mere coincidence? Only now a jury can decide. Have you been injured while vacationing somewhere? Contact an experience personal injury attorney immediately upon your return. Documenting all the details while they are clear in your mind is important and finding out your legal rights is priority number one!

By
Posted in:
Published on:
Updated:

Comments are closed.